Our original Mexican pie recipe is simply delicious. The secret? The polenta that makes all the difference!
- Servings: 5
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 60 minutes
- Cost per serving: $2.07
- Storage: 3 days in the fridge. Can be frozen.
- Kitchen tools: Measuring cups and spoons, cutting board, sharp knife, can opener, fork, large bowl, small bowl, large frying pan, wooden spoon.
- Reference: This original recipe was developed by Extenso—the Université de Montréal reference centre on human nutrition.
- Unbaked 9-inch pie crust (see our pie crust recipe)
- 125 ml (½ cup) quick cooking polenta (optional)
- 175 ml (3/4 cup) water
- 15 ml (1tbsp) chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) butter or non-hydrogenated margarine
- 1 large or 2 small yellow onions, peeled and sliced
- 225 g (½ lb) ground beef Or ground pork
- 1 can (540 ml) black beans, drained, well rinsed and mashed
- 60 ml (¼ cup) ketchup
- 250 ml (1 cup) frozen green peas
1. Place oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 190oC (375oF). Prick the pie crust with a fork.
2. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. When the pie crust is cooked, remove from the oven and lower the oven temperature to 180°C (350°F).
3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the polenta, water, 5 ml (1 tsp) chili powder, salt and pepper.
Variation: Skip steps 3 and 4 if you don’t have polenta.
4. Microwave for 2 minutes and add 60 ml (¼ cup) butter or margarine. Stir and set aside.
5. In a large frying pan over medium heat, cook the onions in 20 ml (4 tsp) butteror margarine for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Add the ground beef, mashed black beans and the remaining chili powder. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the meat is done.
7. Add the ketchup, green peas, salt and pepper, and mix. Place the ground beef mixture into the pie crust and spread it evenly over the bottom.
8. Pour the cooked polenta over the meat and spread it evenly, using a fork (optional). Bake for about 35 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
Tip: Use the cooking time to prepare your side dishes.
This recipe provides foods from the following food groups:
- Grain products
- Meat and alternatives
- Vegetables (salad or raw vegetables, for example) to round out the serving and a fruit
- A glass of milk or fortified soy beverage