Balls… A favourite with kids! Why not try them with fish?
- Servings: 4 servings of 4 balls per person (makes 16 balls)
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Cost per serving: $1.61
- Storage: 3 days in the fridge. Can be frozen.
- Kitchen tools: Can opener, measuring cups and spoons, cutting board, sharp knife, vegetable peeler, grater, small bowl, fork, baking sheet, parchment paper (or oil), large bowl
- This original recipe was developed by Extenso—the Université de Montréal reference centre on human nutrition
- 2 cans (2 x 213 g) pink salmon, drained
- 60 ml (¼ cup) breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 2 frozen spinach nuggets (about 80 ml/1/3 cup), thawed and well-drained
Thaw in the microwave for 1 minute and press with a fork to get rid of the excess water.
- 10 ml (2 tsp) mustard
- 5 ml (1 tsp) curry powder
- Salt, pepper and Tabasco-style hot sauce, to taste
1. Place oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 180oC (350oF). Oil a baking sheet or cover with parchment paper.
2. Pour the contents of both cans of salmon into a large bowl. Remove the skins with your fingers. Do not remove the bones and cartilage — simply crush them between your fingers.
3. Add the breadcrumbs, egg, garlic, carrot, spinach, mustard, curry powder, salt, pepper and hot sauce. Mix with a fork.
4. With your hands, take a small amount of the salmon mixture and make 16 balls. Place the balls on the baking sheet.
5. Bake for about 15 minutes.
Tip: Use the cooking time to prepare your side dishes.
Variation: You can serve this dish many ways: On rice or pasta with vegetables, as an appetizer with tartar sauce (see our Sole Fillets with Tartar Sauce recipe at www.olo.ca), or even in a submarine sandwich!
This recipe provides foods from the following food groups:
- Meat and alternatives
- A grain product (pasta, rice or a submarine bun, for example)
- Vegetables (salad or cooked vegetables, for example) and a fruit
- A glass of milk or fortified soy beverage