This Rice and Lentil Salad, a main course or a quick lunch, at less than a dollar per serving!
- Servings: 5
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Cost per serving: 99¢
- Storage: 3 days in the fridge. Can’t be frozen.
- Kitchen tools: Measuring cups and spoons, cutting board, sharp knife, can opener, strainer, small pot, large bowl, whisk (or fork), spoon.
- Reference: This original recipe was developed by Extenso—the Université de Montréal reference centre on human nutrition.
- 175 ml (¾ cup) uncooked rice (or 500 ml (2 cups) of leftover cooked rice)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 20 ml (4 tsp) dried parsley
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) apple cider vinegar
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) mustard
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) canola oil
- 1 can (540 ml) lentils, drained and rinsed
- 3 celery sticks, finely chopped (about 375 ml (1½ cups))
- 250 ml (1 cup) raisins, chopped
- 250 ml (1 cup) cheddar cheese, diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a small pot, cook the rice as indicated on the package.
Tip: Use the cooking time to cut and measure the ingredients and go to step 2.
2. In a large bowl, prepare the dressing by combining the minced garlic, dried parsley, apple cider vinegar and mustard. Add the oil and mix with a whisk or a fork. Set aside.
3. When the rice is cooked, pour it into a strainer and run under cold water to cool it down.
4. Add the rice, lentils, celery, raisins and cheddar cheese cubes to the bowl containing the dressing. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix and serve.
This recipe provides foods from the following food groups:
- Grain products
- Meat and alternatives
- Milk and alternatives
- Vegetables (raw vegetables, for example) and a fruit to round out the serving
- A glass of milk or fortified soy beverage to round out the serving.