- Servings: 4 breakfasts or 12 snacks
- Preparation time: 15-20 minutes
- Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
- Cost per serving: 67¢ (4 breakfasts) or 22¢ (12 snacks)
- Storage: 4 days in the fridge. Can be frozen.
- Kitchen tools: Measuring cups and spoons, cutting board, sharp knife, 2 large bowls, fork, small sharp knife, large frying pan, large spoon, spatula, baking sheet
- This original recipe was developed by Extenso—the Université de Montréal reference centre on human nutrition.
- 375 ml (1½ cups) all-purpose flour
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) sugar
- 10 ml (2 tsp) baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 250 ml (1 cup) milk
- 5 ml (1 tsp) vanilla
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) butter or non-hydrogenated margarine (divided)
- 2 large or 3 small apples
1. Place oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
2. Slice the apples into 5 or 6 disks widthwise. With a small knife, remove the apple cores to create rings.
3. In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, eggs, milk and vanilla until the mixture has a smooth and even texture.
4. Heat about 10 ml (2 tsp) of butter in a frying pan over medium heat.
5. Dip an apple ring into the pancake mixture and coat thoroughly.
6. With a large spoon, remove the apple ring, making sure to also scoop some of the pancake mixture. Immediately drop into the frying pan and cook about 2 minutes, or until the apple fritters are golden brown.
Tip: Cook 3 to 5 rings at a time, depending on the size of the pan.
7. Flip the apple rings and cook about 2 minutes until golden brown on the second side. Place the apple pancakes on a baking sheet. Repeat steps 4 to 6 until there are no remaining apple pieces.
8. Place the baking sheet with the apple fritters in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
This recipe provides foods from the following food groups:
- Grain products
Delicious served with a glass of milk or fortified soy beverage.