Lentil, Apple and Sweet Potato Curry is a quick, easy, tasty and economical recipe. A perfect blend of sweet and spicy!
- Servings: 4
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Cost per serving: $1.67
- Storage: 3 days in the fridge. Can be frozen.
- Kitchen tools: Measuring cups and spoons, cutting board, sharp knife, can opener, colander, large pot, small pot, wooden spoon.
- Reference: This original recipe was developed by Extenso—the Université de Montréal reference centre on human nutrition.
- 250 ml (1 cup) uncooked rice
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) canola oil
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 750 ml (3 cups) sweet potatoes, peeled and diced Or carrots or squash
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 20 ml (4 tsp) curry powder
- 1 can (284 ml) cream of tomato soup
- 250 ml (1 cup) chicken broth
- 1 can (540 ml) lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 apple, peeled and diced
1. In a small pot, cook the rice as indicated on the package. Set aside.
Tip: If you have a lot of broth, you can use it instead of water to cook the rice.
Tip: Use the cooking time to cut and measure the ingredients and go to step 2
2. Heat the oil in a large pot and add the onion, garlic and sweet potato and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper.
3. Add the curry powder, tomato soup, chicken broth, lentils and apple.
4. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
Tip: Add a bit of water if the curry is too thick.
Tip: Use the cooking time to prepare your side dishes.
5. Serve the lentil curry over rice.
This recipe provides foods from the following food groups:
- Grain products
- Meat and alternatives
- Vegetables and fruit
- A fruit to round out the serving
- A glass of milk or fortified soy beverage