- Servings: 8
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Cost per serving: $2.29
- Storage: 3 days in the fridge. Can be frozen.
- Kitchen tools: Measuring cups and spoons, cutting board, sharp knife, large pot, can opener, grater, wooden spoon
- This original recipe was developed by Extenso—the Université de Montréal reference centre on human nutrition.
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) canola oil
- 500 g (1 lb) ground beef
Or any other ground meat (chicken, turkey or pork, for example) or a firm tofu bloc, crumbled.
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- Salt, pepper and Tabasco-style hot sauce, to taste
- 1 can (796 ml) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (796 ml) herb and spice diced tomatoes
Or plain diced tomatoes and simply add some dried basil and oregano.
- 1.5 litres (6 cups) water
- 10 dry lasagna noodles, broken into small pieces
- 125 ml (½ cup) milk
- 500 ml (2 cups) grated mozzarella cheese (divided: 125 ml [½ cup] + 375 ml [1½ cups])
1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and cook without stirring until the pork starts to brown (about 5 minutes).
2. Add the onion and cook for about 3 minutes.
3. Add the garlic, salt, pepper and hot sauce.
4. Add the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes and water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
5. Add the lasagna noodle pieces, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the noodles are done and the sauce has thickened.
Tip: Stir regularly because the noodles tend to stick to the bottom.
Tip: Use the cooking time to prepare your side dishes.
6. Stir in the milk and 125 ml (½ cup) of mozzarella cheese, and cook over low heat for 2 minutes.
7. Garnish each dish with the remaining mozzarella cheese.
This recipe provides foods from the following food groups:
- Grain products
- Meat and alternatives
- Vegetables (salad or raw vegetables, for example) to round out the serving, and a fruit
- A glass of milk or fortified soy beverage