An original way to prepare a dish that’s generally a hit with children.
- Servings: 4
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Cost per serving: $2.09
- Storage: 3 days in the fridge. Can be frozen.
- Kitchen tools: Cutting board, sharp knife, measuring cups and spoons, baking sheet, parchment paper, shallow bowl, large bowl, small bowl, small sharp knife, spoon, spatula, fine grater
- This original recipe was developed by Extenso—the Université de Montréal reference centre on human nutrition
- 125 ml (½ cup) breadcrumbs
- 250 ml (1 cup) quick cooking rolled oats
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 125 ml (½ cup) plain yogurt
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1 lemon (zest)
- 500g (1 lb) chicken thighs, skinless and deboned (about 350 g), cut into pieces (about 3 pieces per thigh)
1. Place oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a shallow bowl, combine the breadcrumbs and rolled oats. Add salt and pepper and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, mix together the yogurt, garlic, zest from half a lemon, salt and pepper.
4. Add the chicken pieces to the yogurt mixture and stir to coat thoroughly.
5. Add a few pieces of chicken to the breadcrumb mixture and toss with your fingers until they are thoroughly “breaded”. Place the breaded chicken pieces on the baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining chicken pieces.
6. Once all the nuggets are breaded, bake for 30 minutes. Flip the nuggets once after 15 minutes.
Tip: Use the cooking time to prepare your side dishes.
7. Serve with your choice of sauce.
Variation: Prepare a honey and lemon sauce by mixing together 45 ml (3 tbsp) of plain yogurt, 60 ml (¼ cup) mayonnaise, 25 ml (5 tsp) honey, 10 mL (2 tsp) lemon juice and the zest from half a lemon in a small bowl.
Because this sauce contains honey, do not serve to children under the age of 1.
This recipe provides foods from the following food groups:
- Meat and alternatives
- A grain product with your meal (a slice of bread, for example) or a cookie for dessert.
- Vegetables (salad or raw vegetables, for example) and a fruit
- A glass of milk or fortified soy beverage