- Servings: 5-6
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Cost per serving: $2.32
- Storage: 2 days in the fridge. Can be frozen.
- Kitchen tools: Measuring cups, cutting board, sharp knife, large pot, can opener, small bowl, large bowl, colander, wooden spoon.
- This original recipe was developed by Extenso—the Université de Montréal reference centre on human nutrition.
- 1 box (450-500 g) uncooked spaghetti
- 2 tomatoes, diced
This recipe can be prepared without tomatoes or with a half a can of diced tomatoes, drained.
- 6 frozen spinach nuggets, thawed and drained (about 250 ml/1 cup)
Thaw in the microwave for 1 minute and press with a fork get rid of the excess water.
- 2 cans (142 g) clams
Or northern shrimp or leftover cooked fish
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) canola oil
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- Salt, pepper and Tabasco-style hot sauce, to taste
1. In a large pot over high heat, bring salted water to a boil. Add spaghetti and cook as indicated on the package.
2. Place the colander over a small bowl and drain the clams. Set the clam juice
3. In a large bowl, combine diced tomatoes, spinach, clams and pepper.
4. Once the spaghetti is cooked, drain and leave in the colander.
5. Add the oil and garlic to the same pot used to cook the spaghetti and cook over medium heat for about 1 minute.
6. Stir in the clam mixture and 80 ml (1/3 cup) of clam juice.
7. Add the spaghetti, salt, pepper and hot sauce. Mix together.
Variation: For extra flavour add some lemon zest and juice.
This recipe provides foods from the following food groups:
- Grain products
- Meat and alternatives
- Vegetables (salad or raw vegetables, for example) to round out the serving, and a fruit
- A glass of milk or fortified soy beverage