- Servings: 8
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 65 minutes
- Cost per serving: $2.21
- Storage: 3 days in the fridge. Can be frozen.
- Kitchen tools: Measuring cups and spoons, cutting board, sharp knife, 9 x 13-inch baking dish, can opener, large pot, colander, grater, wooden spoon, aluminum foil
- This original recipe was developed by Extenso—the Université de Montréal reference centre on human nutrition.
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) canola oil
- 1 large or 2 small yellow onions, peeled and chopped
- 500 g (1 lb) ground turkey Or ground chicken or pork
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) chili powder
- Salt, pepper and Tabasco-style hot sauce, to taste
- 1 can (796 ml) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (540 ml) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 250 ml (1 cup) frozen corn nibs
- 250 ml (1 cup) chicken broth Or water, if you don’t have any broth
- 250 ml (1 cup) uncooked rice
- 500 ml (2 cups) grated cheddar cheese (divided: 250 ml [1 cup] + 250 ml [1 cup])
1. Place oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 190oC (375oF). Oil a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
2. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and ground turkey and cook about 5 minutes, or until the turkey starts to brown.
3. Add the chili powder, salt, pepper and hot sauce. Mix.
4. Add the diced tomatoes, black beans, corn, chicken broth, rice and 250 ml (1 cup) of cheddar cheese. Mix.
5. Pour the mixture into the baking dish and cover with aluminum foil so that the top does not brown.
6. Bake 50 minutes.
Tip: Use the cooking time to prepare your side dishes.
7. Remove from the oven, remove the aluminum foil and garnish with the remaining cheddar cheese.
8. Return to the oven for 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
This recipe provides foods from the following food groups:
- Grain products
- Meat and alternatives
- Vegetables (salad or cooked vegetables, for example) to round out the serving, and a fruit
- A glass of milk or fortified soy beverage