- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Servings: 4
- Cost per serving: $2.62
- Storage: 3 days in the fridge. Can be frozen.
- Kitchen tools: Large pot, large frying pan, cutting board, sharp knife, measuring cups and spoons, wooden spoon, colander, can opener, grater.
- This original recipe was developed by Extenso—the Université de Montréal reference centre on human nutrition.
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) canola oil
- 375 g (¾ lb) ground pork
Or ground beef, chicken or turkey
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped (about 125 ml / ½ cup)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) chili powder
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 375 ml (1½ cups) dry macaroni
- 1 can (796 ml) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (540 ml) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 250 ml (1 cup) frozen corn nibs
- Tabasco-style hot sauce, to taste
- 250 ml (1 cup) grated cheddar cheese
1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil over high heat.
2. Meanwhile, in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, heat the oil, add the ground pork and cook without stirring until the pork starts to brown (about 2 to 3 minutes).
3. Add the onions, chili powder, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, place macaroni in the boiling water and cook as indicated on the package.
5. Add the diced tomatoes, black beans, corn and hot sauce to the pork. Mix.
6. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 5 minutes.
7. Once the macaroni is cooked, drain and return to pot. Add the tomato and pork-based sauce, combine and continue to cook on low heat for 5 minutes.
8. Garnish with grated cheddar cheese and serve.