An affordable and impeccable seafood dish: pasta with shrimps in a Tomato Cream sauce. A different spaghetti that will please children!
- Servings: 5-6
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 35 minutes
- Cost per serving: $2.40
- Storage: The sauce will keep for 2 days in the fridge. Can be frozen.
- Kitchen tools: Measuring cups and spoons, cutting board, sharp knife, large pot, whisk, colander, wooden spoon.
- Reference: This original recipe was developed by Extenso—the Université de Montréal reference centre on human nutrition.
- 1 box (450-500 g) dry spaghetti
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced (optional)
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) butter or non-hydrogenated margarine
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) flour
- 500 ml (2 cups) milk
- 1 can (398 ml) tomato sauce
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) dried parsley
- 300 g (2/3 lb) northern shrimp, cooked and shelled
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large pot, cook the spaghetti as indicated on the package. When cooked, drain the spaghetti and set it aside in the colander.
Tip: Use the cooking time to prepare your side dishes (green vegetables, for example).
2. Put the pot used to cook the spaghetti back on the stove over medium heat and add the butter or margarine and garlic. Stir to cook for about 1 minute.
3. Add the flour, stirring with the whisk. Add the milk gradually, whisking constantly until the sauce thickens.
Tip: Watch our video Learn to cook in 30 seconds – Making a béchamel (white sauce) available on our website.
4. Add the tomato sauce, stir and cook 5 minutes, or until the tomato cream sauce is hot and begins to boil, stirring gently.
5. Add the parsley, shrimp, salt and pepper. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes until the shrimp are warm. Add the drained spaghetti to the pot and blend.
This recipe provides foods from the following food groups:
- Grain products
- Meat and alternatives
- Vegetables to round out the serving (green vegetables, for example) and a fruit
- A glass of milk or fortified soy beverage