- Servings: 4
- Preparation time: 25 minutes
- Cooking time: 60 minutes
- Cost per serving: $1.62
- Storage: 3 days in the fridge. Can be frozen.
- Kitchen tools: Measuring cups and spoons, cutting board, vegetable peeler, sharp knife, 8-inch square baking dish, large pot, can opener, frying pan, wooden spoon, colander, large bowl, fork (or potato masher)
- Adapted from an original recipe developed by Joannie Bolduc, nutritionist and OLO health care practitioner (CIUSSS de la Capitale-Nationale).
- 2-3 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (about 500 ml/2 cups) Or carrots or squash
- 2-3 regular potatoes, peeled and diced (about 500 ml/2 cups)
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) canola oil
- 1 large or 2 small yellow onions, peeled and chopped
- 3 celery sticks, chopped
- 5 ml (1 tsp) chili powder
- 1 can (540 ml) lentils, drained and rinsed
- Salt, pepper and Tabasco-style hot sauce, to taste
- 500 ml (2 cups) frozen corn nibs
- 10 ml (2 tsp) curry powder
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) butter or non-hydrogenated margarine
1. Place oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 180oC (350oF). Oil an 8-inch square baking dish.
2. Place the sweet potatoes and regular potatoes in a large pot of salted water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until tender (about 20 minutes).
3. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and celery and cook about 5 minutes.
4. Add the chili powder, lentils, salt, pepper and hot sauce. Cook about 2 minutes.
5. Pour the lentil mixture into the baking dish and spread.
6. Cover the lentil mixture with the corn nibs.
7. Drain the sweet potatoes and the regular potatoes. Place in a bowl and mash with a fork or a potato masher. Add the curry powder, butter, salt and pepper.
8. Spread the mashed potato mixture over the corn nibs and cook for 40 minutes
Tip: Use the cooking time to prepare your side dishes.
- Use only regular potatoes.
- Sprinkle a little chili powder on top of the shepherd’s pie.
This recipe provides foods from the following food groups:
- Meat and alternatives
- A fruit
- A glass of milk or fortified soy beverage
- A grain product (bread or a home-made cookie for dessert, for example)