A dish traditionally prepared with rice where barley takes centre stage!
- Servings: 5
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Cost per serving: $1.84
- Storage: 2 days in the fridge. Can be frozen.
- Kitchen tools: Measuring cups and spoons, cutting board, sharp knife, can opener, colander, large pot, wooden spoon.
- This original recipe was developed by Extenso—the Université de Montréal reference centre on human nutrition
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) canola oil
- 1 large or 2 small yellow onions, peeled and chopped into large chunks
- 1 green bell pepper, diced Or frozen green peas
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 10 ml (2 tsp) paprika
- Salt, pepper and Tabasco-style hot sauce, to taste
- 250 ml (1 cup) dry pearl barley Or rice
- 750 ml (3 cups) chicken broth
- 1 can (796 ml) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (540 ml) red kidney beans, drained and well rinsed
- 150 g (1/3 lb) northern shrimp, cooked and shelled Also called “Matane shrimp”
1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook for about 3 minutes.
2. Add the green bell pepper, garlic, paprika, salt and pepper. Cook another 2 minutes while stirring.
3. Add the barley, broth and diced tomatoes. Stir and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for about 35 minutes, or until the barley is done and all the broth has been absorbed.
Tip: Use the cooking time to prepare your side dishes.
5. Add the red kidney beans, shrimp and hot sauce. Mix.
This recipe provides foods from the following food groups:
- Grain products
- Meat and alternatives
- Vegetables (cooked vegetables, for example) to round out the serving, and a fruit
- A glass of milk or fortified soy beverage