- Servings: 4
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Cost per serving: $2.50
- Storage: 3 days in the fridge. Can be frozen.
- Kitchen tools: Measuring cups and spoons, cutting board, sharp knife, large pot, wooden spoon, 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- This original recipe was developed by Extenso—the Université de Montréal reference centre on human nutrition.
- 398 ml tomato sauce
Half of our tomato sauce recipe!
- 5 ml (1 tsp) dried oregano
- 2 ml (½ tsp) ground cinnamon
- Salt, pepper and Tabasco-style hot sauce, to taste
- 400 g frozen sole fillets
This recipe works well with any type of frozen fish.
- 2 small yellow onions, peeled (one sliced, the other, chopped)
- 20 ml (4 tsp) canola oil (divided: 10 ml [2 tsp] + 10 ml [2 tsp])
- 250 ml (1 cup) uncooked rice
- 375 ml (1½ cups) water
- 6 frozen spinach nuggets (about 250 ml/1 cup), thawed and drained
Thaw in the microwave for 1 minute and press with a fork to get rid of the excess water.
1. Place oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 200oC (400oF).
2. In a 9 x 13-inch baking dish, combine tomato sauce, oregano, cinnamon, salt, pepper and hot sauce.
3. Gently place the sole fillets in the tomato sauce.
4. Spread the onion slices over the dish and drizzle with 10 ml (2 tsp) of oil. Bake about 30 minutes, until the sole flakes easily with a fork.
5. Meanwhile, in a large pot over medium-high heat, heat the oil [10 ml (2 tsp)] and cook the chopped onion for about 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper.
6. Add the rice and water and stir.
7. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes.
Tip: Use the cooking time to prepare your side dishes.
8. Add the spinach and mix until it is warmed thoroughly.
Tip: The rice with spinach will be ready when the fish is done!
Variation: For extra flavour add some lemon zest and juice.
This recipe provides foods from the following food groups:
- Grain products
- Meat and alternatives
- A vegetable to round out the serving (green vegetables, for example) and a fruit
- A glass of milk or fortified soy beverage