- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Servings: 5
- Cost per serving: $1.78
- Storage: 3 days in the fridge. Can be frozen.
- Kitchen tools: Measuring cups and spoons, vegetable peeler, cutting board, sharp knife, small pot, large frying pan, wooden spoon.
- This original recipe was developed by Extenso—the Université de Montréal reference centre on human nutrition.
- 625 ml (2 1/2 cups) water
- 310 ml (1 1/4 cup) dry rice
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) canola oil
- 4 chicken thighs, skinless and deboned (about 350 g), cut into strips (or Northern shrimp)
- 1 large or 2 small yellow onions, diced into large chunks (about 250 ml / 1 cup)
- 4 carrots peeled and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 10 ml (2 tsp) curry powder
- Salt, pepper and Tobasco-style hot sauce, to taste
- 6 eggs
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) soy sauce
- 250 ml (1 cup) frozen green peas
1. In a small pot, bring the water to a boil, add the rice, lower heat, cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the rice is cooked, then set aside.
Tip: Use this waiting time to cut and measure the other ingredients.
2. Meanwhile, in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, heat the oil and cook the chicken for about 5 minutes, or until browned.
3. Add the onions and carrots. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Add the garlic, curry powder, salt and pepper. Combine and cook for 1 minute.
5. Push all the ingredients to one side of the frying pan.
6. Add the eggs and scramble them with the wooden spoon. Let cook.
7. Once the eggs are cooked, combine all the ingredients. Add the cooked rice, soy sauce, green peas and hot sauce (if using). Mix together.
8. Cook until you hear crackling sounds and the rice is starting to dry out. Serve.
Variation: Adapt this recipe to your own taste by adding fresh coriander leaves, lime juice or chopped peanuts.