The Chicken in Toast Cups, a classic of Quebec cuisine, served in small cups of bread!
- Servings: 4-5 (8 toast cups, 1 to 2 per person)
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Cost per serving: $1.80
- Storage: The sauce will keep for 3 days in the fridge. Can be frozen. The sauce should be added to the toast cups right before serving.
- Kitchen tools: Measuring cups and spoons, cutting board, sharp knife, muffin tin, large pot, whisk, large bowl, spatula, wooden spoon.
- Reference: This original recipe was developed by Extenso—the Université de Montréal reference centre on human nutrition.
- 8 slices whole-wheat bread
- 90 ml (6 tbsp) butter or margarine
- 90 ml (6 tbsp) flour
- 1 L (4 cups) milk
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) canola oil
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 500 ml (2 cups) cooked chicken, cut into small pieces
- 250 ml (1 cup) frozen green peas
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) dried parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Place oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 180oC (350oF). Oil a muffin tin.
2. Press a slice of bread gently into each muffin round to make little cups and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the bread is toasted on both sides.
3. In a frying pan, heat the butter or margarine, then add the onion, celery and carrots and cook for about 5 minutes.
4. Add the flour and mix well to avoid lumps. Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly with a whisk until the sauce thickens.
5. Add the cooked chicken, green peas and Stir and cook for about 4 more minutes, or until the sauce is heated through. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Serve in the little toast cups.
This recipe provides foods from the following food groups:
- Grain products
- Meat and alternatives
- A fruit
- A glass of milk or fortified soy beverage