The omelette, a practical classic to master. For brunch or for an express meal, our Chef’s Choice Omelette is prepared with the leftovers in the fridge.
- Servings: 2
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 5-8 minutes
- Cost per serving: 78¢, varies depending on the filling chosen
- Storage: Serve immediately. Will keep for 3 days in the fridge. Can’t be frozen.
- Kitchen tools: Measuring cups and spoons, fork, medium-size bowl, medium-size frying pan, spatula.
- Reference: This original recipe was developed by Extenso—the Université de Montréal reference centre on human nutrition.
- 4 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 10 ml (2 tsp) de butter or non-hydrogenated margarine
- 125 ml (½ cup) your choice of filling*
- *Vegetables: onions, cooked squash, green peas, broccoli, mushrooms, diced tomatoes, spinach, etc.
- *Protein: grated cheese, beans, shrimp, canned salmon, cooked meat, diced ham, etc.
1. In a bowl, beat the eggs with the salt and pepper.
2. Melt the butter or margarine in a medium-size frying pan over medium heat.
3. Pour the egg mixture into the frying pan.
4. Using a spatula, gently lift up part of the eggs and tip the pan slightly from side to side so the omelette cooks evenly.
5. When the eggs seem cooked enough, but are not yet browned, place the filling on half the omelette.
6. Using the spatula, fold the other half of the omelette (without the filling) over the filled half. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
This recipe provides foods from the following food groups:
- Meat and alternatives
- Vegetables (salad or raw vegetables, for example) to round out the serving, and a fruit
- A grain product (toast, for example)
- A glass of milk or fortified soy beverage