1. Heat 5 ml (1½ tsp) of oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add half of the beef cubes and cook until browned on all sides. Add salt and pepper and set aside on a plate. Repeat with the remaining beef cubes and set aside.
2. Heat 5 ml (tsp) of oil in the same pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
3. Add the garlic, mustard powder, paprika, water, tomatoes, salt and pepper.
4. With a wooden spoon, scrape the bottom of the pot and crush the tomatoes.
5. Add the beef cubes that were set aside. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low and simmer for about 1 hour.
6. Add the barley, squash and celery and simmer for about 45 minutes.
Tip: Use the cooking time to prepare your side dishes.
Variation: Instead of the squash, you can use any vegetable of your choice (carrots, sweet potatoes, potatoes, rutabaga, for example).
This recipe provides foods from the following food groups:
- Grain products
- Meat and alternatives
- Vegetables (salad or cooked vegetables, for example) to round out the serving, and a fruit
- A grain product for dessert (cookies, for example) to round out the serving
- A glass of milk or fortified soy beverage