Yum, Granola! We love it for lunch or snack, with fruits or yogurt! Our version is very simple and very economical.
- Servings: about 12 Servings
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Cost per serving: 16¢
- Storage: 30 days in the cupboard in a tightly sealed container.
- Kitchen tools: Measuring cups and spoons, baking sheet, parchment paper (or oil), spatula, wooden spoon, large pot.
- Reference: This original recipe was developed by Extenso—the Université de Montréal reference centre on human nutrition.
- 125 ml (½ cup) butter or non-hydrogenated margarine
- 60 ml (¼ cup) sugar
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) molasses
- 500 ml (2 cups) quick-cooking rolled oats
1. Place oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 170oC (325oF). Oil a baking sheet or cover with parchment paper.
2. In a large pot, heat the butter, sugar and molasses over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes, or until the butter is melted and the sugar dissolves.
3. Add the rolled oats and mix well with a wooden spoon.
4. Spread the oats mixture evenly onto the baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes.
5. Stir the rolled oats with a spatula, making sure to move the browned oats on the edges towards the centre of the pan, and bake for another 10 minutes.
6. Stir one last time and bake for another 5 minutes.
7. Once cooked, let the rolled oats cool completely, then break into small pieces to make granola.
Variation: Try stirring in nuts or seeds with the rolled oats. You can also add raisins (or any other dried fruit), orange zest and cinnamon once the granola is cooked!
This recipe provides foods from the following food groups:
- Grain products
Delicious served with a glass of milk or fortified soy beverage, as well as spooned on yogurt or a fruit compote.