Our Apple Squares look like date squares, but with apples! A dessert or snack that will delight the little tummies!
- Servings: 16 squares
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Cost per serving: 29¢
- Storage: 4 days in the fridge. Can be frozen.
- Kitchen tools: Measuring cups and spoons, small sharp knife, cutting board, 8-inch square baking dish, parchment paper (or oil), small pot, large bowl, wooden spoon.
- Reference: This original recipe was developed by Extenso—the Université de Montréal reference centre on human nutrition.
- 750 ml (3 cups) apples, peeled and cut into 1-cm pieces
- 175 ml (3/4 cup) sugar (divided: 60 ml [¼ cup] + 125 ml [½ cup])
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) water
- 125 ml (½ cup) butter or non-hydrogenated margarine
- 250 ml (1 cup) all-purpose flour
- 250 ml (1 cup) rolled oats
- 2.5 ml (½ tsp) baking soda
- 2.5 ml (½ tsp) ground cinnamon
- 2.5 ml (½ tsp) vanilla
1. Place oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 180oC (350oF). Oil an 8-inch square baking dish or line with parchment paper.
2. In a small pot, bring the apples, 60 ml (¼ cup) of sugar and water to a boil.
3. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for about 5 minutes. Set aside.
4. Meanwhile, in a bowl, add the butter, remaining sugar (125 ml/ ½ cup), flour, rolled oats, baking soda, cinnamon and vanilla and mix with your hands until the mixture has a smooth and even texture.
5. Put 2/3 of the oat mixture in the dish and press down with your fingers to form a firm crust.
6. Add the cooked apples and spread them on top of the crust.
7. Sprinkle the remaining oat mixture over the apples. Press down lightly using your fingers.
8. Bake for about 40 minutes and let cool completely before cutting into 16 squares.
This recipe provides foods from the following food groups:
- Grain products
Delicious with a glass of milk or fortified soy beverage.