A popular snack that is easy and quick to make.
- Servings: 14
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Cost per serving: 31¢
- Storage: 4 days in the fridge. Can be frozen.
- Kitchen tools: Measuring cups and spoons, vegetable peeler or small sharp knife, grater, cutting board, sharp knife, 8-inch square baking dish, parchment paper (or oil), wooden spoon, large bowl
- This original recipe was developed by Extenso—the Université de Montréal reference centre on human nutrition
Because this recipe contains honey, do not serve to children
under the age of 1.
- 375 ml (1½ cup) quick cooking rolled oats
- 175 ml (¾ cup) bran flakes, lightly crushed with your hands Or corn flakes
- 60 ml (¼ cup) all-purpose flour
- 125 ml (½ cup) raisins, chopped Or any other dried fruit
- 2 eggs
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) honey
- 1 apple, peeled and grated
- 5 ml (1 tsp) vanilla
- 1 ml (¼ tsp) salt
1. Place oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Oil an 8-inch square baking dish or cover with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix until the preparation has a smooth and even texture.
Variation: You can use chocolate chips instead of raisins.
3. Pour the preparation into the baking dish and spread evenly with the back of a spoon.
4. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the bars are lightly golden on top.
5. Allow to cool before cutting into 14 bars (2 x 7).
This recipe provides foods from the following food groups:
- Grain products
Delicious served with a glass of milk or fortified soy beverage