Finally, an easy, fast and economical recipe for Peanut Butter Cookies! Cook them in great quantity and keep them in the freezer. You will always have a nutritious snack at your fingertips!
- Servings: 24 cookies
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 12 minutes
- Cost per serving: 20¢ per cookie
- Storage: 4 days in the fridge. Can be frozen.
- Kitchen tools: Measuring cups and spoons, 2 baking sheets, parchment paper (or oil), small bowl, large bowl, spoon, fork.
- Reference: This original recipe was developed by Extenso—the Université de Montréal reference centre on human nutrition.
- 500 ml (2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 5 ml (1 tsp) baking powder
- 2.5 ml (½ tsp) baking soda
- 250 ml (1 cup) peanut butter
- 125 ml (½ cup) softened butter or non-hydrogenated margarine
- 160 ml (2/3 cup) sugar
- 2 eggs
1. Place both oven racks in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 180oC (350oF). Oil two baking sheets or cover with parchment paper.
Tip: If you only have one baking sheet, bake the cookies in two batches.
2. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, add the peanut butter, softened butter or margarine, sugar and eggs and mix with a fork.
4. Add the flour mixture and stir together until the batter has a smooth and even texture.
5. Using your hands, make 24 balls about the same size and place 12 on each baking sheet.
6. Flatten each ball slightly with a fork to make a disk.
7. Place the baking sheets in the oven (one on each rack) and bake the cookies for about 6 minutes. Switch the baking sheets and bake for another 6 minutes, or until the tops of the cookies are no longer moist.
8. Let cool for about 10 minutes before removing the cookies from the baking sheet.
Tip: If you like your cookies crispier, turn off the oven and leave the baking sheets in the oven for another 4 minutes.
This recipe provides foods from the following food groups:
- Grain products
- Meat and alternatives
Delicious with a glass of milk or fortified soy beverage.