A variation on an omelette using any available vegetables.
- Servings: 4
Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Cost per serving: $1.97
- Storage: 3 days in the fridge
- Kitchen tools: Measuring cups and spoons, grater, cutting board, sharp knife, small bowl, fork, 8-inch square baking dish, parchment paper (or oil), large bowl
- This original recipe was developed by Extenso—the Université de Montréal reference centre on human nutrition
- 8 eggs
- 60 ml (¼ cup) milk
- 310 ml (1¼ cup) grated cheddar cheese (divided: 175 ml [¾ cup] + 125 ml [½ cup])
- 5 ml (1 tsp) dried parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, diced. Or chopped asparagus, mushrooms or zucchini
- 250 ml (1 cup) frozen green peas
- 2 frozen spinach nuggets (about 80 ml/1/3 cup), thawed and very well-drained
Thaw in the microwave for 1 minute and press with a fork to get rid of the excess water.
1. Place oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 190 °C (375 °F). Oil an 8-inch square baking dish or cover with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, add the eggs, milk, 175 ml (¾ cup) cheddar cheese, parsley, salt and pepper and mix with a fork.
3. Add the onion, green bell pepper, green peas and spinach. Combine and pour into the baking dish.
4. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until the frittata is cooked through and the top has browned.
Tip: Use the cooking time to prepare your side dishes.
5. Spread the remaining 125 ml (½ cup) of cheddar cheese over the top. Set the oven to broil and cook for about 5 minutes, keeping a watchful eye, until the cheese is melted.
This recipe provides foods from the following food groups:
- Meat and alternatives
- Milk and alternatives
- Vegetables (salad, for example) to round out the serving, and a fruit
- A grain product (a slice of bread, for example)
- A glass of milk or fortified soy beverage