Our Flavourful Chicken, for a taste trip! Let yourself be surprised by the mix of spices, vegetables and bananas.
- Servings: 4
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 55-60 minutes
- Cost per serving: $2.36
- Storage: 3 days in the fridge. Can be frozen.
- Kitchen tools: Measuring cups and spoons, cutting board, sharp knife, 2 plates, large pot that can go into the oven (or a large baking dish), tongs, wooden spoon.
- Reference: This original recipe was developed by Extenso—the Université de Montréal reference centre on human nutrition.
- 4 chicken thighs with skin (approx. 1 kg/2 lbs)
- 10 ml (2 tsp) curry powder
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground cumin
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) canola oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large or 2 small yellow onions, peeled and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 3 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 bananas, peeled and sliced
- 375 ml (1½ cup) rice
- 750 ml (3 cups) chicken broth
1. Place oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 190oC (375oF).
2. In a plate, season the chicken thighs with the curry powder and cumin.
3. In a pot that can go into the oven, heat oilover medium-high heat. Cook the chicken thighs for about 3 minutes on skin side until golden brown. Then turn the chicken pieces over and cook for another 3 minutes.
Tip: If your pot isn’t big enough to cook the 4 chicken thighs at the same time, cook them in two separate batches or use two pots (or frying pans).
4. Remove the chicken thighs from the pot and set aside on a clean plate. In the same pot, add the onion, garlic and celery, and cook for 5 minutes over medium-high heat (add a bit more oil, if needed).
5. Add the bananas and rice. Cook for 2 minutes.
6. Add the chicken broth and continue cooking until the broth begins to boil.
7. Place the chicken thighs over the vegetables.
8. Cover and bake for about 30 minutes. Remove the cover and continue baking another 20 minutes.
Tip: If your pot can’t go in the oven, pour the contents into an oven-proof baking dish. Cover the dish with a lid or aluminum foil.
Tip: Use the cooking time to prepare your side dishes.
This recipe provides foods from the following food groups:
- Grain products
- Meat and alternatives
- Vegetables (salad or green vegetables, for example) and a fruit to round out the serving
- A glass of milk or fortified soy beverage