- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 60 minutes
- Servings: 12
- Cost per serving: 34¢
- Storage: 3 days in the fridge. Can be frozen.
- Kitchen tools: Large pot, cutting board, sharp knife, measuring cups and spoons, wooden spoon, ladle.
- This original recipe was developed by Extenso—the Université de Montréal reference centre on human nutrition.
- 2 L (8 cups) chicken broth
- 1 L (4 cups) diced vegetables of your choice (onion/leek, carrots, rutabaga, green or yellow beans, cabbage, corn, green peas, celery, bell peppers, etc.)
- 1 can (796 ml) diced tomatoes
- 10 ml (2 tsp) dried herbs of your choice (oregano, thyme, parsley, basil)
- 60 ml (¼ cup) pearl barley
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) mustard powder (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large pot over medium-high heat, bring the chicken broth to a boil.
2. Add vegetables, tomatoes, herbs, barley and mustard powder. Add salt and pepper. Mix.
3. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer gently for 20 minutes.