Preparation time 5 minutes
Cooking time 35 minutes
Servings About 900 ml
Cost per serving 2,57$
Storage 3 days in the fridge. Can be frozen.
Kitchen tools Large pot, pot lid, cutting board, sharp knife, measuring cups and spoons, plate, can opener, colander, wooden spoon, plate.
This original recipe was developed by Extenso—the Université de Montréal reference centre on human nutrition.
5 ml (1 tsp) canola oil
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped (about 125 ml / ½ cup)
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 can (156 ml) tomato paste
1 can (796 ml) diced tomatoes
Salt and pepper to taste
Tabasco-style hot sauce (optional)
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, cook the onion and the garlic cloves in the oil for 2 minutes, or until browned.
- Add tomato paste and diced tomatoes. Add salt, pepper and hot sauce (if using).
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat and gently simmer the sauce.
Add vegetables and a source of protein to the sauce. Beef, poultry, tofu and beans will taste great in the tomato sauce.
- Cover, leaving a small space for steam to escape, and cook over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately with pasta or refrigerate for future use.