Stuffed peppers, a great recipe to prepare with children: they will love to help you fill peppers that are like little bowls!
- Servings: 4-6
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 45 minutes
- Cost per serving: $2.42 without cheese ($2.57 with cheese)
Storage: 3 days in the fridge. Can be frozen.
- Kitchen tools: Measuring cups and spoons, cutting board, sharp knife, cheese grater, small pot, frying pan, wooden spoon, 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- Reference: This original recipe was developed by Extenso—the Université de Montréal reference centre on human nutrition.
- 125 ml (½ cup) rice
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) canola oil
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 375 g (3/4 lb) ground chicken Or ground turkey or beef
- 1 egg
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) paprika
- 125 ml (½ cup) water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 green bell peppers You can also use red, orange or yellow peppers.
- 60 ml (¼ cup) grated cheddar cheese (optional)
1. Place oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 200oC (400oF).
2. In a small pot, cook the rice as indicated on the package.
3. Meanwhile, cut the green bell peppers in half from top to bottom (splitting the stem) and remove the seeds.
4. In a frying pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat and add the onion and chicken, and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
5. When the chicken is cooked, turn off the heat and add the egg, garlic, cooked rice, paprika and water. Add salt and pepper and Set aside.
6. Fill each half pepper with the chicken and rice mixture. Spread the grated cheddar cheese over each pepper half and place the stuffed pepper halves in the baking dish.
7. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes until the peppers are cooked.
Tip: Use the cooking time to prepare your side dishes.
This recipe provides foods from the following food groups:
- Grain products
- Meat and alternatives
- A fruit
- A glass of milk or fortified soy beverage