Our Squash and Cranberry Bread, a cake filled with fruits, vegetables and fiber. A nutritious dessert for the whole family!
- Servings: 10 slices
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 70 minutes
- Cost per serving: 60¢
- Storage: 3 days in the fridge. Can be frozen.
- Kitchen tools: Measuring cups and spoons, strainer, medium-size bowl, 9 x 5-inch bread pan, parchment paper (or oil), 2 large bowls, fork, spatula.
- Reference: This original recipe was developed by Extenso—the Université de Montréal reference centre on human nutrition.
- 250 ml (1 cup) mashed squash
Watch our video on how to cook squash.
- 375 ml (1½ cups) whole wheat flour
- 250 ml (1 cup) quick cooking rolled oats
- 10 ml (2 tsp) baking powder
- 2.5 ml (½ tsp) baking soda
- 125 ml (½ cup) softened butter or non-hydrogenated margarine
- 250 ml (1 cup) brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) milk
- 250 ml (1 cup) frozen cranberries, coarsely choppedVariation: You can also use other frozen fruit instead of cranberries (raspberries or blueberries, for example).
1. Place oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 180oC (350oF). Oil a 9 x 5-inch bread pan or line with parchment paper.
2. Put the mashed squash in a strainer over a medium-size bowl and let drain for a few minutes.
3. In a large bowl, combine the flour, rolled oats, baking powder and baking soda.
4. In another large bowl, mix the butter and brown sugar with a fork.
5. Add the eggs, milk and mashed squash.
6. Add the dry ingredients and mix with a spatula.
7. Stir in the chopped cranberries.
8. Pour the mixture into the pan and bake for about 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the bread comes out clean. Let cool before slicing.
This recipe provides foods from the following food groups:
- Grain products
Delicious with a glass of milk or fortified soy beverage