Preparation time 15 minutes
Cooking time 60 minutes
Cost per serving 2,08$
Storage 3 days in the fridge. Can be frozen.
Kitchen tools Cutting board, sharp knife, measuring cups and spoons, baking sheet, parchment paper, large bowl, small sharp knife, tongs, spoon.
This original recipe was developed by Extenso—the Université de Montréal reference centre on human nutrition.
2 large or 4 small yellow onions, quartered (about 500 ml / 2 cups)
1 rutabaga, peeled and diced into large chunks (about 1 to 1.25L / 4 to 5 cups) Or potatoes, sweet potatoes or parsnip
500 ml (2 cups) fresh red grapes Or green grapes or fresh or frozen cranberries
30 ml (2 tbsp) canola oil
Salt and pepper
45 ml (3 tbsp) honey
5 ml (1 tsp) soy sauce
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
5 ml (1 tsp) mustard powder
5 ml (1 tsp) paprika
2.5 ml (½ tsp) ground cinnamon
4 whole chicken legs, with skin (about 1 kg / 2 lb) Or use any cut of chicken on sale and simply adjust cooking time.
- Place oven rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) and cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the onion quarters, the diced rutabaga and the grapes on the baking sheet.
- Add the oil, salt and pepper. Combine, then spread the vegetables evenly on the baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, combine the honey, soy sauce, garlic, mustard powder, paprika, cinnamon, salt and pepper to make a marinade.
- Add the chicken legs and thoroughly coat with the marinade. Place the chicken legs on top of the vegetables and pour the rest of the marinade over the entire sheet.
- Bake for about 1 hour, or until chicken is cooked through and the meat separates easily from the bone. Turn the chicken 2 to 3 times while it bakes.Tip: Use the cooking time to prepare your side dishes.