Preparation time 20 minutes
Cooking time 20-25 minutes
Servings 4 (2 small pizzas per person)
Cost per serving 2,03$
Storage 3 days in the fridge. The pizzas are best when served right out of the oven.
Kitchen tools Measuring cups and spoons, cutting board, sharp knife, can opener, grater, rolling pin (or a clean, empty bottle or a round glass), baking sheet, frying pan, wooden spoon, small bowl, spoon.
This original recipe was developed by Extenso—the Université de Montréal reference centre on human nutrition.
8 slices whole-wheat bread Or tortillas, English muffins or other types of bread
15 ml (1 tbsp) canola oil
2 chicken thighs, skinless and deboned (about 175-200 g), cut into very small pieces Or you can use another protein like tofu, lentils, ham, etc.
1 small yellow onion, chopped (about 125 ml / ½ cup)
1 green bell pepper (one half diced, the other cut into 8 thin rings)
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 can (156 ml) tomato paste
Salt and pepper to taste
2.5 ml (½ tsp) dried oregano
120 g grated mozzarella cheese (about 250 ml / 1 cup)
- Flatten 8 slices of bread with the rolling pin and place on a large baking sheet. Tip: You can also use a clean, empty bottle or a round glass instead of a rolling pin.
- Place oven rack in the middle position, set the oven to broil and cook for about 4 minutes, keeping a watchful eye, until the bread is lightly golden.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and adjust the temperature to 180oC (350oF).
- Heat the oil in the frying pan over medium-high heat and cook the chicken pieces for about 5 minutes, until browned. Add salt and pepper.Tip: Don’t stir too much so the chicken can brown.
- Add the onion, diced green pepper and garlic. Stir and cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the tomato paste, oregano and a little salt and pepper.
- With a spoon, spread the tomato preparation over the 8 slices of grilled bread (spread all the way to the edge of the crust). Then add the chicken preparation. Cover with the grated cheese and garnish with a green pepper ring.Variation: Add any other vegetable of your choice.
- Cook about 8 minutes, until the pizzas are hot and the cheese has melted.Tips:
You can finish cooking the pizzas on broil to brown the cheese.
Use the cooking time to prepare your side dishes.