Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 60 minutes
Cost per serving 1,64$
Storage 3 days in the fridge. Can be frozen.
Kitchen tools Cutting board, 9-inch pie plate, sharp knife, frying pan, fork, whisk, measuring cups and spoons, grater, rolling pin, wooden spoon, large bowl.
This original recipe was developed by Extenso—the Université de Montréal reference centre on human nutrition.
20 ml (4 tsp) canola oil
2 large or 4 small yellow onions, sliced (about 500 ml / 2 cups) Or make a ham and spinach or cheese and chives quiche, or any other quiche by replacing the onions with your choice of ingredients.
10 ml (2 tsp) sugar
Salt and pepper
Uncooked pie crust, in a 9-inch pie plate See our pie crust recipe!
80 ml (1/3 cup) milk
5 ml (1 tsp) mustard powder
200 g grated mozzarella cheese (about 375 ml / 1½ cups)
- Place oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F).
- In a large frying pan over medium-low heat, cook the onions in the oil for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until browned.
- Add the sugar, salt and pepper and cook for 15 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, prick the pie crust with a fork and bake for about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove the crust from the oven and lower the temperature to 180°C (350°F).
- In the large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, mustard powder and the cheese. Add salt and pepper and mix.
- Spread the cooked onions over the crust and pour the egg mixture over the onions.
- Bake about 30 to 35 minutes, or until the quiche has set and a light brown crust forms on the top.Tip: Use the cooking time to prepare your side dishes.