- Servings: 12 mini meatloaves (6 servings of 2 meatloaves)
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 45 minutes
- Cost per serving: $1.72
- Storage: 3 days in the fridge. Can be frozen.
- Kitchen tools: Measuring cups and spoons, cutting board, vegetable peeler, sharp knife, paper muffin cup liners (or oil), large bowl, can opener, grater, colander, fork
- This original recipe was developed by Extenso—the Université de Montréal reference centre on human nutrition.
- 1 can (540 ml) white beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 apples, peeled and grated
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 250 ml (1 cup) breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) tomato paste
- 250 ml (1 cup) grated cheddar cheese
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) dried parsley
- 10 ml (2 tsp) mustard powder
- 2.5 ml (½ tsp) salt
- 2.5 ml (½ tsp) pepper
- Tabasco-style hot sauce to taste
- 500 g (1 lb) ground pork
1. Place oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 180oC (350oF). Oil a muffin pan or line with paper muffin cup liners.
2. In a large bowl, mash the white beans with a fork.
3. Add the apples, garlic, breadcrumbs, egg, tomato paste, cheddar cheese, parsley, mustard, salt, pepper and hot sauce. Mix with a fork.
4. Add the ground pork. Using your hands, mix the ingredients thoroughly.
5. With your hands, roll 12 balls and place in the muffin pan. Press the balls down lightly with a fork.
6. Bake about 45 minutes.
Tip: Use the cooking time to prepare your side dishes.
Variation: This mixture also makes excellent hamburger patties! Just shape into 8 patties and voilà!
This recipe provides foods from the following food groups:
- Meat and alternatives
- Milk and alternatives
- A grain product (a home-made cookie for dessert, for example)
- Vegetables (salad, cooked or raw vegetables, for example) to round out the serving
- A glass of milk or fortified soy beverage