- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Servings: 7
- Cost per serving: 22¢
- Storage: 3 days in the fridge. Can be frozen.
- Kitchen tools: Cutting board, vegetable peeler, sharp knife, large pot, colander, measuring cups and spoons, potato masher.
- This original recipe was developed by Extenso—the Université de Montréal reference centre on human nutrition.
- 2 Russet potatoes, peeled and diced into large chunks (about 750 ml / 3 cups)
- 1 medium size rutabaga, peeled and diced into large chunks (about 750 ml / 3 cups)
- 60 ml (¼ cup) milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Place the rutabaga and potatoes in a large pot of salted water and bring to a boil. Cook until tender (about 30 minutes, depending on the size of the pieces)
2. Drain vegetables and return to the pot.
3. Add the milk and mash to desired consistency.
4. Add salt and pepper and serve as a side dish.