- Servings: 8-12
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Cost per serving: $0.68
- Storage: 3 days in the fridge. Can be frozen.
- Kitchen tools: Measuring cups and spoons, cutting board, sharp knife, large pot, wooden spoon, small plastic containers.
- This original recipe was developed by Extenso—the Université de Montréal reference centre on human nutrition.
- 500 g (1 lb) ground pork
- 125 ml (½ cup) breadcrumbs
- 375 ml (1½ cups) milk
- 1 large or 2 small yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 5 ml (1 tsp) salt
- 2.5 ml (½ tsp) pepper
- 1 ml (¼ tsp) ground cinnamon You can add a pinch of nutmeg and ground clove.
1. In a large pot over medium heat, bring all the ingredients to a boil, stirring constantly.
2. Reduce heat to low. Cover, leaving a small space for steam to escape and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
3. Pour into one or several small containers.
4. Refrigerate overnight (at least 8 hours).
This recipe provides foods from the following food groups:
- Meat and alternatives
One serving of these cretons is a tasty way to add protein to your breakfast, lunch or snack!