A hearty soup served as a main dish… a great idea for a cold winter day!
- Servings: 5
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Cost per serving: $1.29
- Storage: 3 days in the fridge. Can be frozen.
- Kitchen tools: Measuring cups and spoons, cutting board, sharp knife, can opener, colander, large pot, wooden spoon, ladle
- This original recipe was developed by Extenso—the Université de Montréal reference centre on human nutrition
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) canola oil
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 10 ml (2 tsp) ground cumin
- Salt, pepper and Tabasco-style hot sauce, to taste
- 2 cans (540 ml) lentils, drained and rinsed
- 60 ml (¼ cup) uncooked rice
- 1.5 litres (6 cups) chicken broth Our short video will show you how to make your own broth
- 8 frozen spinach nuggets (about 310 ml/1¼ cup)
1. In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat, add the onion and celery and cook for about 5 minutes.
2. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add salt and pepper.
3. Add the lentils, rice and chicken broth.
4. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Add the spinach and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the rice is done.
Tip: Use the cooking time to prepare your side dishes.
5. You can add a little hot sauce and adjust the salt and pepper as needed, before serving.
This recipe provides foods from the following food groups:
- Meat and alternatives
- Grain products
- A grain product (bread, for example)
- A vegetable to round out the serving (raw vegetables, for example) and a fruit
- A glass of milk or fortified soy beverage or a piece of cheese