This comforting soup will bring a bit of Italy into your kitchen.
- Servings: 6
- Preparation time: 12 minutes
- Cooking time: 35 minutes
- Cost per serving: $1.22
- Storage: 3 days in the fridge. Can be frozen.
- Kitchen tools: Measuring cups and spoons, cutting board, sharp knife, can opener, colander, large pot, wooden spoon, slotted spoon, fork, ladle, plate
- This original recipe was developed by Extenso—the Université de Montréal reference centre on human nutrition
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) canola oil
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cans (540 ml) white or Romano beans, drained and rinsed. A can of each will add colour to your meal!
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) apple cider vinegar
- 1 can (796 ml) herb and spice diced tomatoes. Or plain diced tomatoes and simply add some dried basil and oregano.
- 1.5 litres (6 cups) chicken broth
- 500 ml (2 cups) dry macaroni. Or any other type of small pasta
1. In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat, add the onion and celery and cook for about 5 minutes.
2. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add salt and pepper.
3. Add the beans, apple cider vinegar, diced tomatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 10 minutes.
Tip: Use the cooking time to prepare your side dishes.
4. With a slotted spoon, take about 250 ml (1 cup) of beans, place them on a plate and mash with a fork.
5. Return the bean purée to the pot. It will help thicken the soup. Add the macaroni and cook for about 8 to 9 minutes, stirring occasionally. Adjust salt and pepper as needed and serve immediately.
Tip: This hearty Italian soup is very thick. If the soup is not served right away, the macaroni will continue to absorb the broth and the texture will thicken. When reheating, just add a little water.
This recipe provides foods from the following food groups:
- Meat and alternatives
- Grain products
- A vegetable to round out the serving (raw vegetables, for example) and a fruit
- A glass of milk or fortified soy beverage or a piece of cheese