Hasselback potatoes, accordion potatoes or Swedish-style baked: whatever its name, this recipe is both ravishing and stunning!
- Servings: 8
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 45 minutes
- Cost per serving: 16¢
- Storage: 3 days in the fridge. Can’t be frozen. Tastier when served immediately.
- Kitchen tools: Measuring cups and spoons, cutting board, sharp knife, 8-inch square baking dish, small bowl, spoon.
- Reference: This original recipe was developed by Extenso—the Université de Montréal reference centre on human nutrition.
- 6 to 10 potatoes (depending on size), washed (about 1,5 kg/3 lbs)
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) melted butter or non-hydrogenated margarine
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) canola oil
- 5 ml (1 tsp) paprika
- 2 ml (½ tsp) dried thyme (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Place oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 200oC (400oF).
2. Thinly slice the potatoes without cutting right to the bottom so that each potato still holds together.
3. Put the potatoes in an 8-inch square baking dish. You can also use a bigger dish or a baking sheet, if needed.
4. Mix the melted butter or margarine and oil in a small bowl and pour onto the potatoes.
5. Sprinkle on the salt, pepper, paprika and thyme, if using.
6. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until the potatoes are golden brown and a fork pierces the potatoes easily. Baste the potatoes with the butter from the bottom of the pan occasionally while they are cooking.
This recipe provides foods from the following food groups:
One serving of this side dish is a tasty way to add a portion of vegetables to your menu.