A fun way to share a chili meal with toddler.
- Servings: 8 portions
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 45 minutes
- Cost per serving: $1.51
- Storage: 3 days in the fridge. Can be frozen.
- Kitchen tools: Can opener, colander, grater, cutting board, sharp knife, measuring cups and spoons, small bowl, fork, large bowl, wooden spoon, 9 x 13-inch baking dish
- This original recipe was developed by Extenso—the Université de Montréal reference centre on human nutrition
- 1 can (540 ml) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (540 ml) lentils, drained and rinsed
- 375 ml (1½ cups) grated cheddar cheese. Or any cheese of your choice
- 1 large or 2 small yellow onions, peeled and chopped
- 310 ml (1¼ cups) breadcrumbs
- 4 eggs
- 60 ml (¼ cup) ketchup
- 60 ml (¼ cup) chili powder
- 175 ml (¾ cup) frozen corn nibs
- Salt, pepper and Tabasco-style hot sauce, to taste
- 1 can (796 ml) crushed tomatoes
1. Place oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Oil a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
2. In a small bowl, roughly mash the red kidney beans with a fork.
3. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients, except for the crushed tomatoes.
4. Pour the mixture into the oiled baking dish and press down firmly.
5. Spread the crushed tomatoes over the top.
6. Bake for 45 minutes, then cut into 8 pieces (2 x 4 inches).
Tip: Use the cooking time to prepare your side dishes.
This recipe provides foods from the following food groups:
- Meat and alternatives
- Milk and alternatives
- A grain product (bread or a home-made cookie for dessert, for example)
- Vegetables (salad or cooked vegetables, for example) to round out the serving, and a fruit
- A glass of milk or fortified soy beverage