Cheese Muffins can accompany your soup, salad or main dish. They can also be served at brunch or snack. They are good for any occasion!
- Servings: 12
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 32 minutes
- Cost per serving: 55¢
- Storage: 3 days in the fridge. Can be frozen.
- Kitchen tools: Measuring cups and spoons, muffin tin, paper muffin cup liners (or oil), 2 large bowls, spoon, whisk, fork, spoon.
- Reference: This original recipe was developed by Extenso—the Université de Montréal reference centre on human nutrition.
- 375 ml (1½ cups) whole wheat flour
- 125 ml (½ cup) quick cooking rolled oats
- 5 ml (1 tsp) baking powder
- 1 ml (¼ tsp) baking soda
- 60 ml (¼ cup) canola oil
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 125 ml (½ cup) milk
- 125 ml (½ cup) unsweetened applesauce
- 375 ml (1½ cup) grated cheddar cheese (divided: 250 ml [1 cup] + 125 ml [½ cup])
1. Place oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 180oC (350oF). Oil a muffin tin or place paper liners in the tin.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, rolled oats, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
3. In another bowl, add the canola oil, brown sugar and eggs. Mix with a whisk (or a fork) for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the mixture is thick and creamy.
4. Add the dry ingredients, just a little at a time, mixing with a fork.
5. Add the milk, apple sauce and 1 cup of cheddar cheese. Mix again.
6. Using a spoon, divide the mixture evenly among the 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese over the muffins.
7. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
8. Set the oven to broil and cook for 1 to 2 minutes until the cheese has browned slightly.
This recipe provides foods from the following food groups:
- Grain products
- Milk and alternatives
One serving of this side dish is a tasty way to add a portion of grain products to your menu.