Add a little colour and sunshine to your plate.
- Servings: 6
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 7 minutes
- Cost per serving: 57¢
- Storage: 3 days in the fridge
- Kitchen tools: Large frying pan, cutting board, sharp knife, measuring cups and spoons, wooden spoon, colander, grater, large bowl, small bowl, fork
- This original recipe was developed by Extenso—the Université de Montréal reference centre on human nutrition
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) canola oil (divided: 15 ml [1 tbsp] + 30 ml [2 tbsp])
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 125 ml (½ cup) frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can (540 ml) lentils, drained and rinsed
- 3 carrots, grated Or grated zucchini, sweet potato or pumpkin.
This recipe works great with leftovers. Add any vegetable you don’t want to go to waste!
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 orange (zest and juice)
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) apple cider vinegar
1. In a frying pan, heat 15 ml (1 tbsp) of oil over medium-high heat, add the onion and cook for 2 minutes.
2. Add the cumin, garlic, spinach, salt and pepper. Mix and cook another 2 minutes. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, add the lentils, carrots, green onions, orange zest and the onion and spinach preparation. Mix thoroughly.
4. In a small bowl, prepare the dressing. Add the juice from half an orange, the apple cider vinegar and the remaining oil
(30 ml / 2 tbsp). Whisk together with a fork.
5. Add the dressing to the salad and mix.
This recipe provides foods from the following food groups:
- Meat and alternatives
One serving of this salad is a tasty way to add vegetables and protein to your menu!