Preparation time 15 minutes
Cooking time 30 minutes
Cost per serving 81¢
Storage 3 days in the fridge. Can be frozen.
Kitchen tools Large pot, cutting board, sharp knife, measuring cups and spoons, wooden spoon, grater, ladle.
This original recipe was developed by Extenso—the Université de Montréal reference centre on human nutrition.
15 ml (1 tbsp) canola oil
250 ml (1 cup) smoked ham, diced (about 1 thick slice / 125 g)
1 small yellow onion, chopped (about 125 ml / ½ cup)
1.5 L (6 cups) green cabbage, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
1 carrot, grated
5 ml (1 tsp) fresh ginger, finely chopped Or 1 clove of finely chopped garlic
1.5 L (6 cups) chicken broth
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat the oil; add the ham and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly coloured (about 2 minutes).
- Add onion and cabbage, then salt and pepper.
Cook 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add carrot, ginger and broth. Mix together.
- Add chopped leek or diced potatoes to this cabbage soup.
- Add a bay leaf at the same time as the chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer gently for 20 minutes