- Servings: 8-10
- Preparation time: 25 minutes
- Cooking time: 45 minutes
- Cost per serving: 54¢
- Storage: 4 days in the fridge. Can be frozen.
- Kitchen tools: Measuring cups and spoons, 8-inch round cake pan, parchment paper (or oil), 2 small bowls, large bowl, spoon, whisk (or fork), spatula
- This original recipe was developed by Extenso—the Université de Montréal reference centre on human nutrition.
- 375 ml (1½ cups) all-purpose flour
- 10 ml (2 tsp) baking powder
- 1 ml (¼ tsp) salt
- 250 ml (1 cup) softened butter (divided: 80 ml [1/3 cup] + 160 ml [2/3 cup])
- 175 ml (¾ cup) sugar
- 12.5 ml (2½ tsp) vanilla (divided: 10 ml [2 tsp] + 2.5 ml [½ tsp])
- 2 eggs
- 160 ml (2/3 cup) milk
- 375 ml (1½ cups) icing sugar
1. Place oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Oil an 8-inch round cake pan or cover with parchment paper.
2. In a small bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder and salt.
3. In a large bowl, add 80 ml (1/3 cup) of softened butter, sugar and 10 ml (2 tsp) of vanilla. Whisk together or mix with a fork for 4 minutes.
4. Add 1 egg at a time, mixing well after each addition.
5. Fold dry ingredients into egg mixture with a spatula (1 third at a time) alternately with the milk (half at a time), beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix until just blended and smooth.
6. Pour the cake batter into the cake pan and bake about 45 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, prepare the frosting: In a small bowl, mix 160 ml (2/3 cup) of softened butter, the icing sugar and 5 ml (½ tsp) of vanilla.
Tip: You can also use the chocolate pudding recipe for icing.
8. Once the cake is cooked, unmolded and cooled, spread the icing over the top and on the sides with a spatula.
Tip: Decorate the cake with chocolate chips, raisins or any other garnishes of your choice.
This recipe provides foods from the following food groups:
Delicious served with a glass of milk or fortified soy beverage.