Cabbage and soy sauce… a perfect match for egg roll lovers!
- Servings: 5
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Cost per serving: $1.78
- Storage: 2 days in the fridge. Can be frozen.
- Kitchen tools: Measuring cups and spoons, cutting board, sharp knife, vegetable peeler, grater, large pot, wooden spoon
- This original recipe was developed by Extenso—the Université de Montréal reference centre on human nutrition
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) canola oil
- 500 g (1 lb) ground turkey. Or any other ground meat
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 10 ml (2 tsp) fresh ginger peeled and minced (optional)
- 10 ml (2 tsp) curry powder
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) soy sauce
- Salt, pepper and Tabasco-style hot sauce, to taste
- ½ medium size green cabbage, cut into strips (about 1.5 litres/6 cups)
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the ground turkey and cook for 7 minutes.
Tip: Only stir occasionally during the first few minutes to allow the turkey to brown.
2. Add the onion, stir and cook for 1 minute.
3. Add the garlic, ginger, curry powder, soy sauce, salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste. Mix.
4. Add the cabbage and carrot. Mix, cover and cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes, or until desired consistency, stirring occasionally.
Tip: Use the cooking time to prepare your side dishes.
Variation: For extra flavour add some fresh coriander, lime juice, a few drops of sesame oil or crushed peanuts, etc.
This recipe provides foods from the following food groups:
- Meat and alternatives
- A grain product (couscous or rice, for example)
- A fruit
- A glass of milk or fortified soy beverage