A sweet bread for breakfast, snack time or dessert
- Servings: 10
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 60 minutes
- Cost per serving: 32¢
- Storage: 4 days in the fridge. Can be frozen.
- Kitchen tools: Measuring cups and spoons, grater, cutting board, sharp knife, vegetable peeler or small sharp knife, 9 x 5-inch bread pan, parchment paper (or oil), small bowl, wooden spoon, large bowl, spatula, fork
- This original recipe was developed by Extenso—the Université de Montréal reference centre on human nutrition
- 375 ml (1½ cup) whole-wheat flour
- 10 ml (2 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 10 ml (2 tsp) baking powder
- 2.5 ml (½ tsp) baking soda
- 2.5 ml (½ tsp) salt
- 125 ml (½ cup) canola oil
- 250 ml (1 cup) brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) milk
- 375 ml (1½ cup) carrots, peeled and grated (1 to 2 carrots)
- 1 apple, peeled and grated
1. Place oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Oil a bread pan or cover with parchment paper.
2. In a small bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, add the oil, brown sugar and eggs and mix with a fork.
4. Add the milk, carrots and apple and mix a little more.
Variation: You can add nuts, raisins or dried cranberries.
5. Add the flour mixture and stir together gently with a spatula until the preparation has a smooth and even texture. Pour into the bread pan.
6. Bake for about 1 hour, or until the top is brown and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool before slicing and serving.
This recipe provides foods from the following food groups:
- Grain products
Delicious served with a glass of milk or fortified soy beverage.