Cooking to save money is even more important when you’re on a tight budget. Luckily, there are simple tricks that can help you spend less and still prepare healthy meals for your baby and your whole family.
Here are just a few of the many ways to save money when you cook at home:
- Plan meals ahead of time, thumb through grocery store flyers for sales and promotions, and prepare a grocery list accordingly.
- Stock up on non-perishable products whenever possible and when the price is right.
- Substitute expensive foods with less expensive alternatives! For example, replace the ground beef in a macaroni or a shepherd’s pie recipe with lentils.
- Try a new recipe made from basic ingredients.
- Chose nutritious yet inexpensive foods like beans, canned salmon and eggs.
- Prepare large quantities and freeze You’ll save both time and money.
You know someone who also enjoys cooking large quantities at a time? Why not vary your menu by swapping a few meals and sharing some of your favourite recipes? You could even combine work and pleasure by cooking together.
Have you ever heard of collective kitchens? It’s a great way to save money while discovering new foods and meeting interesting people.
Weekly planning can help you save money when you cook. It’s a little more work at first, but well worth it when planning becomes part of a healthy routine that you will greatly value over time.